PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why the kiwis lost the RWC semi final
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2003, 05:57
Mungo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's 40 years this week since JFK was assassinated and the conspiracy season is well and truely underway, so Mungo, in his infinite wisdom has decided to present the world with a new conspiracy theory which has absolutely nothing to do with JFK, but everything to do with why the Kiwis lost the WRC semi-final.

This is the real reason why the ABs lost......They were told to!!!

Now why on earth, or indeed how on earth, could anyone come up with such a ludicrous suggestion?

Easy.... it's bound to wind up more than a few of our Australian cousins, and more importantly it's probably close to the truth.

During the anthems it was easy to see that the ABs did not want to be there.
During the game they were just going through the motions, "playing like monkeys" as someone has suggested may be a bit harsh but does have a ring of truth to it. This from a team that has been playing with flair all year and has been voted 'Team of the Year" by its peers in the game.
Penalties given away seemingly willy-nilly right in front of the post by a team that had up until that game given away very few penalties through out the tournament.
Probably most telling of all would have been GG being completely and utterly humble in victory in the after match interview.... since when has that been one of his endearing traits, or for that matter a trait of any red blooded Aussie?
Add to GG's humbleness, Eddie Jones's humbleness (finger down throat, retching sounds .... I can't take it!!!!).

How could it done? Again, easy.

Someone suggests to the IRB "This is our tournament, we're the defending champions and we need to be in the final. If we're not, it's going to cost us (the ARU and the IRB) lots of money, and besides which a little upset in the semis will add a bit of spice to the Tournament. Of course England loosing to France would probably work too."
IRB....."We see your point, old chap, especially about the money, but don't like the last part.....can't have England going down to the French, what!!! Leave it with us."
IRB....."I say, All Black chappies, how would you like to loose the semi-final?"
ABs...."Get real (or words to that effect)!!!!!!!!!"
IRB....."Don't be like that. You do want to continue playing professional rugby in sanctioned IRB countries after your AB careers have finished (whilst bringing out pen and Blacklisted Players Book), which incidentally will be on Sunday November 23rd, if you get my drift."
ABs....."Ahhhhh, well yes, we feel one of those off days coming on."
IRB....."Jolly good, try not to make it too obvious, chaps."

As I said......easy!!!!

OR MAYBE IT REALLY WAS JUST AN ABSOLUTE SHOCKER BY THE ABs....will we ever know for sure?

I have been called a "perfect idiot" in this forum in the past, but now as indeed back then I am far too modest to consider myself perfect in anyway!!!!

Methinks it's time for Mungo to retreat and duck for cover.

Last edited by Mungo; 21st Nov 2003 at 10:04.