PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Qantas staff Infected.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 03:37
Foxxster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
Police have already dictated to Government that any cases of Coronavirus are a work cover matter, not sick leave. I’m led to believe 300+ are in quarantine ATM.

with respect to you and the police, I am not sure if the police are the arbiters of work cover cases. That is to say they most certainly are not. And they sure as hell don’t get to dictate to government anything.

from Comcare site

https://www.comcare.gov.au/safe-heal.../coronavirusWe have prepared answers to some frequently asked questions about claims and COVID-19.

Am I covered for workers’ compensation if I contract COVID-19?

A virus, like COVID-19, would be considered under the disease provisions of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRC Act). For a disease to be covered it must be contributed to, to a significant degree, by the employee’s employment (section 5B).

For coverage to exist, a determining authority (the claim decision maker) would need to be satisfied that employment significantly contributed to the employee contracting the virus. For viruses, it can be difficult to accurately determine the exact time and place of contraction. It can therefore be difficult to determine that employment was a significant contributing factor.

However, where an employee’s employment puts them at greater risk of contracting the virus the significant contribution test may be easier to meet. For example, if the employment involves:
  • travel to an area with a known viral outbreak
  • activities that include engagement or interaction with people who have contracted the virus
  • activities that contravene Department of Health recommendations.
Each claim would need to be considered on its individual merits, having regard to the individual circumstances and evidence in relation to the claim.

Last edited by Foxxster; 11th Apr 2020 at 03:49.