PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building in S Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2003, 03:55
Cardinal Puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strafer

Do you want to operate coastally or inland? With summer coming up the hot and high conditions on the highveld may be what you need to keep you on your toes. If so, may I suggest Wonderboom near Pretoria as an operating base. The owner of the restaurant (brilliant pizzas) has a few rooms overlooking the apron that are available. There are two schools I can suggest, with similar price structures and both are willing to arrange a validation of your UK PPL. Please pm me for more info if you're interested.

Wonderboom is situated around 4 minutes flying time from the Training Area and is close to shopping facilities and restaurants. The Hatfield entertainment precinct is about 15 minutes drive into town and crawling with nubile university tottie. Game farms/camps and other destinations are within easy reach of the field by air and Botswana is 1.5 hour's flight time to the west in a C172. There are a number of skydiving clubs close by that are quite happy to have someone drop in on a Saturday afternoon for a barbecue (braai) and a few beers then sack out in the bunkhouse overnight and continue to destination on Sunday morning. A gliding club lies around twenty minutes to the West and another is around an hour to the SW if you'd like to drop in for a visit.

There are around 5 or 6 fields within an hour's flying time from Pretoria/JHB, all with FTOs but as far as I know W/boom is the only one you can actually stay on the airport.

Good luck.