PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army lower standards for recruits to the reading age of a 5 year old.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 14:15
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I was on Salisbury plain with our Puma and Wessex in the 70's and we had some TA arrive to play trooping and roping etc, they impressed the heck out of me in their dedication etc, their unit had travelled a long distance, (Bristol comes to mind) to take part and their fuel allowance wouldn't cover it, so they had been begging, stealing and borrowing fuel for the 4 tonner for months to allow them to take part, and they made the most of the opportunity.
They were game to try everything and put their new found skills to the test, they went away happy and better for it.
As a result of the various 'Cost Saving Measures' after 1987 it always annoyed me that we were required to feed ourselves for the first 24 hours, so had to bring a packed lunch for day one of any weekend. After 24hrs the QM would issue Ration Packs, 10 man for the use of....................... and then the competition for chocolate bars and red sweets began.........................

We knew all the good transport cafes though. And it's a long way from Surrey to Otterburn in a 4 tonner that was older than you were..............

Arc