PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:39
UAV689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone is still considering flying training, do it modular at this time. Keep down a job at the same time. Pace it out. I chose this path in 2008, and dragged my training out, came out of it with no debt, and a backup career.

All the the lads I know that went to the glossy and beautiful integrated schools regretted it, they all sat on the job pile for years but with 100k loans for themselves or their parents to service, which at the time of a recession is madness. Many never got a job and walked away with a 100k beermat.

It it took me a number of years after the recession to get that job, and it was on the other side of the world as a bush pilot, until I got picked up by a lcc in Europe.

Be be prepared I am afraid for a long wait, so slow down training, try and get into as minimal debt as possible. Do not fall for the big schools lies in that they can get you into the right seat with their connections, airlines will not hire now for r, with exception being perhaps ryr and wizz. Salaries will take years to recover.

The effects are already happening. Lufty shutting down German wings. Do not forget that legacy carriers make a large portion of money from business travel, and that is not just in business class seats. Companies outside of aviation are shedding staff, current staff are getting used to working remotely, video conferencing has increased dramatically and it will take a long time for customers to change this mentality.

When legacies stop hiring, they are at the top of the food chain, it slows everything else. I expect even the RAF will slow down as short serve commissions sign on again as there is no civvy street work for them.

Post 2008 it took Ba and AF years to hire again. I expect something similar.

Last edited by UAV689; 9th Apr 2020 at 11:55.