PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army lower standards for recruits to the reading age of a 5 year old.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 09:38
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolling20

My experience of the TA in the mid- late 80's was:
  • that some people saw it as a social club and went with their mates. If one left they all left................................. (usually just as they were becoming useful to the unit)
  • that some people saw it as a proving ground and left after a year or so to join the regulars.............
  • that some saw it as an area where they used their civilian skills in a military context.............. to the benefit of both parties
  • that some people stayed for many years until retirement age while the average time was between 18 months and 6 years - usually they joined at 18/19 and then left when they got married............................
  • that some people were fantasists (Walts).............................

As a rule they were reasonably well educated (CSE or GCE 'O' Levels) and saw the TA as a challenge/change, they made good basic Rifleman in the platoons. There were however a fair sprinkling of low literacy or illiterates in the mix, often they would ask me to help with filling forms and so on................ when they found I could write. They were good at humping the GPMG around though

Maybe that was a factor of the geographical area I was in though (SE UK). Not sure what it was like in other areas..........

Very much the 'Citizen Soldiers' of Kitcheners Army I think....................

Oh - and there were no formal educational qualifications required to join at that time.

Arc