PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2020, 05:24
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by go123
Is it possible to just leave the top half in the mean time and focus on down training 320 Caps back to FO’s in reverse seniority order as required? The guys at the top just wait it out for the next 12 months? Can you get made to take a 320 command if you’re a 777 SO?
If the bottom half lost their Jobs it'd wipe out a lot of A320 Captains along with all the FO's/SO's. In terms of Down-Training Vs Direction, I haven't looked as to how the 2 interact. Direction is from the bottom up, Down-Training is also from the bottom up, but contained within a Fleet/Rank which has a surplus. Honestly, when it comes to Senior Lifestyle SO's who let the Command go below them, I'm not sure who would get directed first.

At the end of the day, International Flying makes up 2/3 of our Schedule.
If we're a Domestic only Airline, then we only need ~300 Pilots resulting in 900 odd redundancies.
If we have 'limited" international sectors, then the borders must be open? If the Borders are open, then slowly people will resume flying again.

In other words, we either need 300 Pilots, or we need 800-900 (still a reduction on current numbers). Anything in between just doesn't add up in my opinion.