PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army lower standards for recruits to the reading age of a 5 year old.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 18:23
rolling20

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Having done my UAS stint and realising HM would never let me in her airforce, people way better than me on the squadron having been turned down, I joined the local TA. Now I joined with a school chum who is now a Dr of Mathematics, we were both privates. I'm not sure about him, but I never filled any educational qualifications in on my form. Our first weekend prior to being sworn in was an eye opener. A written/ multiple choice test took place and after we sat it out of 40 or so of us, 6 of us were then left in a TV room, while the others were called out. Being worried I was missing something exciting, I asked a corporal what was occurring. Resit! He snapped. The mark wasn't that high 40% or something, but the large majority had alas failed. We were told before the test that a good mark would allow us to possibly apply for a commission. Funnily enough neither my chum or myself never achieved that accolade. Now a map reading exercise some weeks later really was amusing. I left for personal reasons some time after. The chaps I met though were all decent people and at that late Cold War time under no illusions.