PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army lower standards for recruits to the reading age of a 5 year old.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 13:23
Rheinstorff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Party Animal
Poor strategy lost Germany the War!!!

I think a 10 year old kid with the reading ability of a 6 year old could have told you:

’Don’t invade Russia’!!!
Or, indeed a 6 year old with the reading age of a 6 year old.

Some schools of thought suggest Hitler could have defeated the Soviets' ability to fight back coherently if he'd chosen to advance on only one front. This to first capture Moscow and severely degrade or defeat the USSR's highly centralised command and control, both military and economic/industrial. (And, if he hadn't also become obsessed with capturing Stalingrad as he judged its iconic status to be of pivotal importance to the Soviet population's morale). He could then have defeated the remnants in detail and, more-or-less, at his leisure.

I'm not so sure, but his failure to concentrate force at the correct time and place certainly dissipated effect and cost time, which allowed the Soviets to continue the war into the winter, moving key industrial capacity east of the Urals, and allowing the regeneration of their armed forces, and reinforcement of equipment by the Allies, etc. It remains possible, though un-provable, that a more focused, Moscow-first strategy would have worked (like the Allies' Europe-first strategy agreed, I think, at the Ottawa Conference).