PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reims C150 Aerobat
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2020, 11:56
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The 150M had the same pre-select flaps as the 152
Close, though not quite. Only the last C150M's had preselect flaps. My 1975 C150M has the "up/down" switch. It's a much more simple and reliable system anyway. All C150 flaps extend to 40, where all 152 flaps extend only to 30. I prefer the 40, and use them every landing.

Only snag was that 'assemblies' were painted rather than individual components, so the skin faying surfaces were left bare metal.
I didn't know that (I've only seen airworthy French Cessnas). Yes, that is a poor arrangement, as it is the joints which are the corrosion areas. Any corrosion proofed airplanes I have been involved with had all the parts primed before assembly, and the joints have been in very good condition upon disassembly.

Yes, the "key start" clutch in the later O-200 equipped 150s were troublesome. I was employed for many years repairing them, and ultimately designed and approved improvements, which were STC approved, and sold thousands. I also designed and flew a whole replacement starter motor, which was a direct bolt on onto either version of the O-200 engine. The very most important key to longevity for the "key start" clutch is to keep it internally clean. This means having it disassembled, and cleaned, which is a really tricky process. Even a slipping clutch may be fine again, once cleaned (my lesson about mine in 1987). It is vitally important that they be cleaned out following an engine break in, or cylinder change - 25 hours in service and it's time for a cleaning. There was also a "starter oiling" mod done to some engines, which helped keep the clutch oiled inside, but also put more fine metal into it. The best solution was the use of the later model Continental starter motor, which I have used happily for many years. Anyway... I drift...

Thanks for the help with the Reims question, and for the links to the TCDS, and other manuals, that has helped immensely. It brings about question though:

The TCDS, and references to the plane in this discussion has been: "FRA150(L/M)". The TCDS states that the serial number range for these planes is: FRA1500262 through FRA1500336, and, FA1500262 through FA1500336 when equipped with FKA150-2311, and FKA150-2316. Are FKA150-2311 & 2316 a kit? Engine change kit? And, neither of the two parts manuals I have been kindly provided includes the "FRA" version of the 150, just the "FA" version. Is anyone aware if there is a separate parts manual applicable to the "FRA" version?

Thanks again for the help... Pilot DAR