PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching Basic IF
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2020, 01:16
Fl1ingfrog

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Absolutely agree with most of what Black Jake has said.

I would add that good basic visual handling skills are paramount. If the visual flying is chaotic, without method and sloppy then flying by sole reference to the instruments is a non starter. In my view all initial training should first be visual whilst an efficient practical and precise attitude flying technique is taught and achieved, include the selective radial scan also whilst visual. The aeroplane will never know it is in cloud It follows therefore that the same correct visual techniques learned must be true when flying on the instruments. Nothing changes other than the visual reference is to the instruments instead of the natural horison. Having covered the direct indications of each of the instruments, teach the instruments as a group but emphasise the care to be taken when assessing the secondary indications; i.e. a pitch up/down indication does not on its own mean a climb/descent is taking place. Work through each of the instruments noting the same rules apply as with visual flight. The student should now be ready to apply the knowledge and skill to manoeuvre: climbing and levelling off/descending levelling off, turning at rate one and also on to specific headings. This must include in level flight and whilst climbing and descending. Should the student find combining a turn whilst climbing and descending too difficult then teach the turn to be followed by the climb/descent.

This initial phase should not be skimped because it is crucial to the success of the following applied instrument flying phases: navigation and also instrument procedures if applicable..

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 8th Apr 2020 at 01:42.