PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post Covid19 Aviation
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2020, 14:06
ADawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry folks, I think the demand for holidays and travel will be very low for some time.
The economies of the world have effectively stopped. Prior to this mess starting the world economic growth was the slowest since the GFC. Numerous industries have been decimated from this virus - Retail, tourism, education and I dare say the housing market isn't too far away.
Very big employers. We are still dealing with the health issue of this virus. The economic issue has really just started.
Anyone who was a casual or a contractor is applying for benefits. Guess what those who have been stood down are doing? Burning through their annual leave. The rest of us who still have jobs and leave balances are too **** scared and will hang onto the dollars.
If you're a self funded retiree well you have just taken a 30% hit to your super - sort of dampens the spirit to spend cash even when the balance of the account starts to recover.
The call is out for governments of the world to spend big to get the wheels turning again - so where is all of this money coming from? I suspect increased taxation, cancellation of projects, goodbye tax free super. All of this kills discretionary spending.
Sure it will bounce back but my guess is it will be far different to what it was 8 weeks ago.
I hope I am wrong but this is a 1-100 year event - nobody really knows what is behind door number 2.