PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Poseidon - Not too long to wait?
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2020, 10:48
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Japanese - an island nation, reliant on maritime trade, but without SSBNs or CVs, think that they need more than 70 MPAs.

Apples and oranges. Japanese "defence" forces and capabilities are governed 100% by their constitution, written shortly after WW2. Despite attempts, no Japanese government has ever managed to change it in any significant way. Their defense forces (and the amount they spend on them) are globally unique. I once explained to a roomful of Japanese undergrads that their country spends the second largest sum (after US, in 1996) in military hardware on the planet. Thye just flat refused to believe me and said I was mistaken. In essence they overspend on "defense" assets because they are consitutionally prohibited from any form of power projection; any nuclear capability and because they have historic enemies with massive capabilities on their doorstep. They also build all their own stuff as well.

So it is as totally meaningless comparison (no offence )

Compare us with Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc...if you want a more realistic measure, bearing in mind geographic differences.