PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus descent rate under parachute less with wind?
Old 6th Apr 2020, 12:04
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by EvaDestruction
I did not watch the video, and I'm surprised it's 1700FPM. That's more than a helicopter in autorotation pretty much.

But I can imagine that if the plane is properly suspended, any wind blowing might cause the airframe to fly, generating some measure of lift for less weight on the canopy?

I've flown a few Cirrus, but keep thinking about taking it to the ground, land on a road as you do in your Cessna.
Oh dear, oh dear!

How on Earth can ANYTHING which is drifting with the wind have any lift generated from any wind 'blowing' over any airframe, when there is NO wind blowing over any airframe? Which bit of drifting with the wind is unclear? Have you ever given a moment's thought to how a hot air ballon gets its lift? It cannot be from any wind - AS THERE IS NO RELATIVE WIND WHEN YOU'RE DRIFTING WITH IT.

Hot air balloons stay up by HOT AIR - and that's all that's keeping this unbelievable thread going.

Can't somebody shoot this thing and put the thread out of its misery, and spare a few people from their embarrassment?

[edit} PS. A bit harsh? Possibly, if the comments had come from a non-aviator, but as they apparently came from someone claiming to be an 'ATP' / Flight Instructor... seriously? Are refunds available? PLEASE read up on basic aerodynamics before trying to do any more teaching. Save their hard-earned, save your blushes.

Oh, and another thing... how can you NOT be "thinking about taking it to the ground" every time you land, claiming as you do that you actually fly these aircraft? How else do you land them? Do you pull the 'chute every time and rely on gravity (and of course a good strong wind!!!!) to do the rest? How many have you written off by not "taking [them] to the ground"? Is this a dream on MS flight sim? It appears its all just a load of hot air.

As for:
land on a road as you do in your Cessna
Are you for real? Please don't stray too far from MS Flight Sim! Even the roads now appear to be too dangerous with you around. WTF? Am I the unwitting innocent victim of a bad joke or something? Somebody help us all!

Last edited by pilotmike; 6th Apr 2020 at 15:55.