PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government Loan to Virgin Australia
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2020, 01:17
anawanahuanana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know why people are talking about the government nationalising VA. They have asked for a loan. You're blind if you can see the game QF are playing. It's exactly the same one British Airways are playing. Talk up the fact you don't need a govt loan. After all, the government can't pick winners and losers in this can they? Let your competition fold. Then go cap in hand to the govt for a bailout. They're now the only major airline left in the country. You think the govt won't then have to help them financially? And just like that, they've played the govt to pick a winner and a loser.

I fully agree that the way VA has been managed in the past (by JB et al) is utterly atrocious. However I really do feel like PS was taking the airline down the path it needed to travel to turn things around. The situation should be judged on how things are now, not the past. Otherwise we should refuse recently unemployed people the dole if they have made poor choices in their past lives, regardless of what changes they have since made. "Sorry madam. I know you've been working hard to pay off the debts you accumulated during your previous relationship with your abusive partner. We understand that you have become unemployed due to covid-19, through no fault of your own. But your ex built the debt in your name so why should the govt help you out? Best you file for bankruptcy..."

As for people moaning about govt bailout money being sent overseas to the foreign airline owners of VA. Well bearing in mind for the last however many years a load of foreign airline money has been invested in VA which has then flowed in to 10,000 Australian taxpayers and countless other suppliers to VA, hotels, car hire companies etc etc, all for no return to them, I don't think that argument holds much water.

The govt should offer VA a loan, with the option to take a stake in the company if not repaid as required.