PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2020, 13:25
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
Is that not a concern though? Now that the jobs market will dry up, no airline will be sponsoring people so the pool of talent is yet again reduced simply to people with rich parents who can afford to do the training and not worry about the risks of not getting a job.

You say you want to fly with a load of spotters? Really?! Surely you want a flight deck filled with pilots with a diverse background, people who have real life experience in previous jobs not just a load of flight sim nuts, I couldn’t think of anything worse, imagine having to sit through that chat for 12 hours every time you go to work

You say you want people with passion and ability to do it, this will achieve the opposite. You don’t need ability to be a pilot, just a big wallet sadly.
The only airline fully sponsoring prior to C-19 was Aer Lingus, and their students are both enthusiastic and talented. A few other outfits sponsor the type rating with bonding.

Yes, rich parents will continue to fund their children, although that is likely to be fewer in the short term with their investments taking a hit. A significant number of parents have remortgaged their houses to fund the training. I suspect that it would be a concern to parents if the opportunities for employment where minimal?

The modular route undoubtedly does produce the most diverse source of pilots, and doesn’t necessary require the “big wallet” up front, if you continue to work and save like the majority of those on this route. I do maintain that a passion and determination are essential ingredients for this route, or in my day the “self improver route”. No courses as such. Simply apply for the written exams, and sufficient flying training to pass the flying tests.

Regarding the spotters ~ I should have said in ones youth, with others being “hangar rats”. A stage which young people go through; part of the metamorphosis which embryonic pilots go through before they start their journey.

The “flight sim nuts” invariably stay as ‘flight sim nuts’. They have been known to have their live on line flying skills assessed by a current TRE. I know at least airline pilot who carried out this rôle !! I was surprised when I was told that by a reliable source.