PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for the Covid Graduates
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2020, 10:44
drisssouid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
I’d agree with the flight instructing but only if you absolutely 100% want to be an instructor, otherwise it’s not fair on the students.

I’m assuming you’re European? Would help to know where you are but, assuming you are, here’s what I’d do. I’d go to uni and get a relevant degree in something I firstly enjoy and secondly can see a job in, not necessarily a career but at least a job.

Like computers? Go do that, you’re only taking on student loan debt so it’s not ‘real’ debt, and you’ll get a good degree out of it. Assuming you’re unlikely to get an airline seat for 3-4 years, the timing is perfect. And if you do, one of two things will happen:

You keep your ratings valid at uni, come out into a hiring boom and get a job. Great
You keep your ratings valid at uni, come out into a hiring drought and go make some money elsewhere for a few years. Still great.

No matter which of the above happens, you will have the most enjoyable three years of your life, drink more beer, and have more sex than you’ve ever dreamed of. You’ll come out a far more rounded person and will be so grateful for it (as will the people you fly with who don’t have to fly with someone who only knows how to talk about aeroplanes).

Yes the market for jobs sucks, you’re still crazy young, try and see it as an opportunity.
Thanks for all the replies,
Yes, I’m european, from Portugal exactly. If I were to become an instructor it would be something enjoyable for me, I wouldn’t go for it just for the hours and for the money. My only fear is spending more money on the rating and then not finding a job as instructor as well.
I’ve thought about going for a uni degree or even joining the military, but at this point I guess I just have to wait and see how things develop and the first months after the pandemic.