PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2020, 07:40
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Blimey, Jackonicko, what a fascinating Thread this has become, particularly if you dive out into the likes of VC10.net! Any thoughts on changing the Thread title to "The amazing VC10 Thread" or similar?!!!!!!!!

I actually started my Aviation "Maintenance" career on a VC10. Erm, I wasn't exactly qualified to do so as I was still at school at the time. And the VC10 subjected to my "tinkering" was none other than XR809/G-AXLR which has already been mentioned above. Realising that maybe it was a tad unairworthy, a couple of small panels appeared in my bedroom as a result.

Now, in my defence, M'lud, it was on the Dump at RAF Kemble at the time looking very much like Image 26 at C/n 829 - XR809 when I made my valiant but unsuccessful effort to clear the outstanding defects in the 700 and get her back to the Line "S", and my covert ingress/egress route to the aircraft from the fence would have helped me in the SAS - had I followed that particular Military career.

It's a fair cop I guess so I best I fess up. Later on I became slightly more productive in helping to keep the FAA and RAF in the air for 3 decades. Well, that's my opinion - other's may differ with their thoughts on that.

Ah, 1976/77 - happy days! Cheers, H 'n' H