PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a pilot no longer considered "low-time"?
Old 20th Nov 2003, 19:38
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the original question, my personal view would be that you stop being "low time" somewhere around the 100 hours TT and 50 hours P1 mark, but I agree that it doesn't really mean much - you could be well on the way to a CPL/IR in Oxford or have flown 12 hours a year since getting the PPL.

If we are looking at safety, I agree that currency is probably the most important thing - but it isn't everything. You could log 50 hours during a 3 week PPL in Florida and be more current than 99% of PPLs but you're probably less safe than someone with 200 hours who has logged 5-10 in the last month. On the other hand, total time is probably not much more than a measure of how well you may be able to compensate for a lack of currency. Lots of other things come in to play as well - IMCRs (and IMCR currency ), experience of the British winter (or Florida TS season, or...), recent hours with a good instructor etc. - as I was told when learning to understand statistics, just because you can count it doesn't make it mean anything... but people tend to read meaning into the easiest thing to count