PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Venezuelan Navy Ship Sinks after Ramming Cruise Ship
Old 4th Apr 2020, 12:38
mabmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be instructive to review the sinking of HMS Fittleton on 20 September 1976. She was manned by the RNR and was detailed to carry out a mail transfer by heaving line with HMS Mermaid. HMS Mermaid was the only ship of its kind, having been originally ordered by Ghana, and so her characteristics were somewhat different to the then standard Leander class Frigate. HMS Fittleton approached from the rear quarter but got too close alongside Mermaid. I seem to remember that in the enquiry it was argued that the distance apart was normal for a Leander but that the hydrostatic forces were different in this case (transfers between the RNR minesweepers and Leanders were not uncommon). Whilst alongside Mermaid she was caught by the low pressure and drawn closer and there was a minor collision. She then increased speed to draw away but was caught by Mermaid's bow forces and was pulled in front of her across her bow at right angles. The subsequent collision sank the Fittleton. Sadly 12 sailors lost their lives, of whom 11 were RNR. I was in minesweepers at the time and we all had to read and digest the report of what had happened.

I would hazard a guess that the Naiguatá did much the same, approaching RCGS Resolute from astern, either to intimidate or perhaps even to pass a boarding party across. That probably went wrong (there are no pictures to ascertain whether there was a minor collision alongside) and then she either got too far forward of Resolute whilst alongside or tried to draw away and got caught sucked in across her bow. They were very fortunate that there was no loss of life.

Of course, this is not as dramatic as a ramming or "ignoring the reinforced bow" but would explain the situation. Close steaming requires practice and is especially difficult when the ships concerned are of unequal size and there is no experience of steaming alongside that particular class of ship as each class has different hydrostatic forces. It would also indicate that the captain possibly made an error but was not necessarily foolhardy and I suspect that any captain involved with maritime patrolling must be thinking "There but for the grace of God..."