PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Job with an OML
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2020, 11:47
rob_ste97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Job with an OML

Hi everyone,
Long time viewer, first-time poster.
Wondering if anyone here had ever had success themselves, or known of anyone who has had success, gaining first employment with a Class 1 (UK) restricted with an OML, and a Class 2 Unrestricted.
I am an aspiring professional pilot, but unfortunately come from a family with a long history of Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease. This condition's genetic pattern means that because my Dad was affected, I'm at 50% chance of inheriting the condition too. The CAA currently doesn't issue initial medicals if one has the condition, but offers a renewal with an OML restriction. Currently I'm a glider pilot and am going through selection processes for PPL Scholarships. One of the questions they may ask me is what my career plans are, as I understand the scholarship is for those who are going to become airline/professional pilots.
For reference, I'm approaching the end of a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering, and I had plans to go down either the Integrated route if I could secure funding, or Modular and self-fund.
With the OML on top of my Medical, I've read and been told that there is virtually zero chance of me being offered a first job.

What's the consensus- go ahead with commercial despite the OML or drop the idea of professional flying and stick with the day job?

Thanks in advance.