PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2020, 02:59
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
There is plenty of debate elsewhere on Pprune about the future of autonomous flight. Perhaps I should modify 'autonomous' to 'remotely controlled from the ground' to acknowledge that somewhere in the chain a human will be involved - just not in the front of the machine itself. The failure of MCAS to breathe life into an outdated design, several mass murder-suicides committed by pilots and fairly regular crashes caused by pilot incompetence warrants rapid progress to remove the weakest link from the cockpit. Yeh, yeh, I know all about Sully and Al Haynes and many others who saved many lives by being there and acting with great skill. But it was to some extent yesterday's technology that put them in those situations..

https://www.redbull.com/au-en/thered...assenger-drone
These guys are today's Wright Brothers. Within 15 years of the first flight at Kittyhawk, Sperry had developed an autopilot; within 30, all-metal aircraft were in mass production, jets followed, then autoland, supersonic flight, space travel - all within 60 years. Who woulda thunk it back in 1903?

The OP would do well to research more technical papers, progress in the military etc to form a conclusion about long term pilot career potential than to rely on emotive opinions (including mine). As to be expected in Pprune, Luddites outnumber visionaries and tend to be more strident in their denial.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 4th Apr 2020 at 04:10.