PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 10:45
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good advice on here. Get a career first and then think about flying. I went to Uni and did a degree in engineering. I applied to join the Air Squadron at Uni, but didn't get in - too many applicants. I had passed all the tests, so was given a chit, that had I done National Service, I would have been sent to the Air Force to learn to fly. Didn't happen. I got a First Class Honours Degree and was employed by Rolls-Royce as an aircraft engine designer on military projects. Guess what? This employment made me exempt from NS. Eventually I took up gliding,as this was the easiest way to learn to fly, and became a cross country pilot and an instructor . Retired when I got bored with it, having done 2200 sorties and 1000+hrs, every hour hands on the stick. I didn't miss flying a bit, and had other hobbies to pursue. Just for fun, after a thirty year gap, I went and had a week flying at our local gliding club. Three trips and I was back solo. Flying is like roller skating - you never forget how to do it. Flying is a great hobby, but I'm certain that for me it would not have been a satisfying career. You only live once, this is not a rehearsal!

Last edited by Olympia463; 3rd Apr 2020 at 13:33.