PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 08:14
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doubletap
Hello Mega. You’ll no doubt hear plenty of naysayers replying to your OP. I’ve been involved with aviation for 45 years in one form or another from the Air Cadets at school to a military career followed by the airlines. Best advice I was ever given..... don’t get married, have kids or get a mortgage. You’ll then love every minute!!
Its cheaper to buy for the short term than Marry. A wise old boy once told me, “if you want to retire as a rich pilot, don’t get divorced!”

Enjoyed the flying at every stage but 20 years in, I love Longhaul, love the money, love the people and love the job. If I have one in 3 months.

Keep some back. I’m lucky that at younger than 40, I have 2 years slush fund back and no mortgage. Some spend it like it’s never going to end, 2 kids in posh school, massive mortgage, 2 Tesla’s. yep, that’s great until we have something like NCov when the only people they seem to blame is company instead of themselves.

once you have done it a few years, consider going and developing a second career out of a part time major contract using whatever education and skills you got on the way. Flight crew are good project managers/risk managers.