PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 06:32
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Lapon
There are plenty of plenty of paths to a career in aviation. A word of caution if you are looking at the cadet - airline route however is that airline flying not 'fun', it is usually rather clinical.

Enjoy whatever road you take, but for most of us our time in GA or the military was where we had the most fun, and made our best friends.

Cadetships were not available in my time and as much as I'm sure I would have taken one if I could have, Im quietly glad I couldn't.
The cadets had fun, have enthusiasm, and made friends too mate.

For our young friend in year 9, whatever path you eventually do choose will have to be made at the time. You won’t be out of HS until 2024. Even assuming you go straight into flight training it could be until 2026/7 until you graduate. After doing a uni degree perhaps it’ll be closer until the end of the decade. The world will be a very different place. Some companies that exist now won’t in 10 years time. Pathways, careers will be all different. But it’s so far off for you I wouldn’t bother worrying about it now.

We has a GFC in 2008/9 but we recovered in a few years. This shock will probably go on for longer. But it will end. Don’t forget the “roaring twenties” followed the 1918 flu. The current shock will probably be at least in a recovery by the time you have left high school, and there’s the baby boomer demographic retiring in the next 5 years as well. Keep the dream alive but don’t worry about career prospects for a while mate.