PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Input Airbus
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 01:04
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I suppose flying allows one to get good at expecting the unexpected, but having got old, and sitting in an ATR watching a very able young man fly the sector, I was reasonably relaxed as we passed 200'. At some point, I'm not sure when, the concrete suddenly looked like it was coming through the windshields.

I'm not sure why it happened, or even how he managed it, other than it was flown, not mushing. What I do know is that with any delay, the aircraft would not have survived the impact. My frantic tug allowed one of those 3-point landings that don't allow the wheels to skid before spinning up. Despite my best efforts, exchanges in English were somewhat limited and I'll never understand, but it seems to me that a large aircraft, stacked with computing power, should be capable of protecting itself from pilot input that makes no sense.

As an example, was the 447 computer so deprived of sensory inputs that it couldn't protect the aircraft from nonsensical control inputs - or is there no such software? It seems incredible that systems wouldn't know inputs were illogical. I'm attempting to make a clear distinction between inputs and net flightpath.