PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 00:06
WHBM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Firstly WHBM has a family story from the same area.
Originally Posted by pax britanica
One of the above comments brought back a lot of memories for me-a lone VC10 parked outside a small terminal somewhere in what was once the Empire.

I worked in a ot of far flung locations and going home often meant a cab ride through deserted streets to a small airport... sometimes-quite often back then- inbound flights were late but no internet or mobile to warn you so you prop up the airport bar ... until you hear that shattering roar of those Conways in full reverse ..
Aunt was a stereotypical Expat in Zambia, and was returning to the UK one time from Lusaka. Outward BOAC VC-10 then changed crews at Nairobi, slip crew did the Nairobi-Lusaka-Nairobi rounder, and slipped again for the return. Lusaka BOAC staff was one Expat manager, plus locals.

On this occasion the inbound was indeed late, bit of uncertainty when it might arrive. Poor expat manager doing his best is assailed by an American group of mining engineers until aunt steps forward and informs them firmly "I say, I think [Mr Smith] is really doing his best here, it will come when it comes". Later she passes him at the desk and says she was just going for a cup of tea, and would he like one too.

Finally it arrives and eventually boarding commences. In the disorderly grumbling queue manager leans across and says "Mrs [WHBM's aunt], I have to say you are the only passenger today who has been remotely civil to me". Voice lowers. "Um, I have one first class seat spare. Would you like it ? Ah, good, have you got your boarding card for a moment please ...". Which story she told for the rest of her life.

Last edited by WHBM; 3rd Apr 2020 at 18:04.