PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:27
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
One of the above comments brought back a lot of memories for me-a lone VC10 parked outside a small terminal somewhere in what was once the Empire .

I worked in a ot of far flung locations and going home often meant a cab ride through deserted streets to a small airport . It is late at night and the poor quality yellow ramp lights illuminate that amazing tail plane in the old royal blue BOAC colours no other aircraft had that majestic feature .No real security in those days and often not many pax. Sometimes you even recognised a crew member or they recognised you and as you step from the mobile steps (jetties- no way ) across the threshold into the doorway you were 90% of the way home.

On the other hand sometimes-quite often back then- inbound flights were late but no internet or mobile to warn you so you prop up the airport bar,again with people you often know, until you hear that shattering roar of those Conways in full reverse (did all the engines have reversers or just the outers) and then that strange unique ghostly wine when a VC10 taxied in and parked on an empty ramp or one with a couple of Fokker 27s and a well worn DC 3
VC10s took me safely smoothly and silently to many places around the world and home again and probably marked the zenith of the days when flying was in anyway romantic.