PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC - Surely this must be the end
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 05:59
Lead Balloon

Received 443 Likes on 224 Posts
You could argue that those are the purposes. Others could make different arguments. Nothing wrong with that.

But what are the actual purposes of the system now? If the actual purposes are not or cannot be identified, it is not possible to determine whether those purposes are being achieved. Nor is it possible to debate whether those purposes are worth what it costs to achieve them.

Hypothetically, if the purpose of the ASIC system was originally to “be seen to be doing something” about the 9/11 hijackings, is that a purpose that justifies the ongoing costs?

This argument is circular:
Third, it should be a confirmation of the user having passed a background check. This basically ensures that people that attempt to perform the work functions are legally allowed to perform them.
The ‘pass’ and ‘fail’ and what’s ‘legally allowed’ are determined by rules made by bureaucrats.

currawong appears not have had a chance to answer my question. Maybe you have a perspective: Why should a person “just out of a life sentence” be prevented from getting an ASIC? When can that person ‘pass’ the background check, or are they permanently precluded? What is it about being “just out of a life sentence” that renders a person an unacceptable risk behind the wheel of an aircraft but not a car or truck?

I’ve always been struck by the fact that many pilots are their own worst-enemy. They revel in the mystique of aviation, which merely invites more and more regulation and bureaucratic intrusion. Flying is ‘special’. We must make sure only special people - like me - can fly. People with the ‘right’ ‘background’ - like me.

But that means bureaucrats deciding what is the ‘right’ background and ferreting into everyone’s background to make that judgment.

As has been pointed out, it wasn’t that long ago that homosexuality was a criminal offence. Back in the ‘good old days’ the punishment was execution but, in a very bold and generous act by governments, it was reduced to life imprisonment. No worries about poofs in the cockpit back in those days! They were executed or rotting in prison. Now homosexuals can get pilot’s licences and even ASICs! Who knew that ‘they’ could fly just as well as ‘normal’ people and were just as trustworthy and untrustworthy?

The ‘pass’ and ‘fail’ of a ‘background check’ is just a value judgment. And that which is judged a heinous crime punishable by death one day can be an accepted part of a civilised society the next. Best to hope that your values remain acceptable to the bureaucracy!