PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpaid leave - wait it out or go East
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 23:57
bringbackthe80s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 60N
Hi there,

Fairly new S/H Captain with a legacy carrier (last 40% of the seniority list), currently on unpaid leave.
Seems like hard times will follow, as the company was struggling before COVID-19.
No idea as for when I’ll be called back.
We have a young family and we don’t want to move.
Financially we are OK and can survive for over a year with me not working.
Seems like there are opportunities for L/H Non Type Rated f/o positions in the Far East on a commutable basis and some few DEC S/H positions (most require more PIC time on type than what I have).
I would probably hate commuting and the new employer is likely to require a bond agreement.
Mind you, I will probably return to my current employer the minute they call me.
Any advice?
Go East for a while or wait it out?
Guys in europe/us who have limited experience flying as expats have an interesting look at these (until a couple of months ago existing) jobs in Asia.
These companies are not exactly losing sleep hoping an expat pilot applies. Yes the hire(d) expats but to get the job it takes a lot of work, motivation and commitment. Even after this, more than a few fail or simply can’t cope.
Just to say it is NOT something to take lightly and be ready to go back home “the minute they call you”.
As it’s been said, not that you have any decisions to make anyway.
Best of luck to you, and to all of us!