PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure after V1
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2003, 12:47
kansasw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response to ejector seat's question

"Has anyone considered what would have happened if the AF concorde which crashed in July 2000 had rejected the take off (even though post V1) instead of trying to pull her into the air while still short of V2?

"I've not seen any discussion of the exact distance remaining and their chances of coming to a full stop, but I find it hard to avoid a gut feeling that perhaps there might have been a few survivors if they'd aborted. Hindsight is everything, but once it left the ground the outcome was guaranteed, surely..."

I am but a simple SLF without pretense to aviation expertise; nonetheless--A) I am sure the question has been considered; B) as I remember reports following the event, the plane is loaded with 100 tons or tonnes take your choice of fuel on takeoff, and the fuel alone accounts for a large fraction of the total weight of the outfit, and once it gets up toward takeoff speed, stopping on the runway or a little beyond is simply not an option, there is simply no capability on the aircraft with any combination of brakes, reverse thrust, or whatever, to undo the momentum and stop the thing on the ground within runway/overrun limits. IE once up to speed with that plane, you are committed to lifting off and sorting out the problems in the air, and any attempt to stop is a guaranteed fireball.

If anyone would care to explain to me how to put quoted passages in the little box in smaller type, as I see in other posts, I would be grateful.