PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 electrical system - variable frequency generators?
Old 1st Apr 2020, 16:34
waterfalls123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All through Vessbot, thanks!

Great schematic Turin. That's the best I've seen. Does anyone know if the 230V AC system is powered when external AC power is plugged in, like at the gate, with the engines and APU not running? If the 230V AC system can be powered by external AC power plugs, do those two AC transformers that convert 230V AC to 115V AC for the L&R AC busses also convert the 115V AC back to 230V AC when 115V AC is the only power available through external power?

As a motorhome owner, I've heard of square wave "sine waves" as cheap inverters on motorhomes (among other uses like in personal pleasure boats) take the motorhome's house batteries (12V DC) and convert their DC power to AC using something other than "smooth" (i.e. pure) sine waves. The use of these cheap converters can hurt appliances (like refrigerators) whose AC motors don't like other than "pure sine" wave AC electricity.

TURIN, you also answered another one of the questions I had in my head after initially reading the 787 electrical system- what in the world were those 3 common motor start controllers (CMSC) needed for? I thought the ATRUs put out "normal" DC electricity (like you'd get from a transformer rectifier in any other jet I've flown). But apparently these ATRUs (as Blacksheep states) aren't putting out "nice" DC voltage like a battery does- it pulses- I assume due to the fact that the ATRUs are receiving wild, plusing, high voltage electricity as an input from the engine and/or APU generators. Therefore, because of the "sort of wild" output from the ATRUs, the CMSCs are needed to properly start (and drive?) these large, DC motors when they're running? Is that correct?

Last edited by waterfalls123; 1st Apr 2020 at 16:46.