PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus descent rate under parachute less with wind?
Old 1st Apr 2020, 13:41
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I find 1700 fpm as rather uncomfortable when hitting solid ground...
Me too!

That's why I've never had the urge to leap out of a serviceable aeroplane.
Me either! Though I flew jumpers for years. The happy difference for the sport parachutist, as opposed to the Cirrus passenger, is that the sport parachutist has the ability to flare the parachute for a softer landing, and regularly impressed me with well timed flares, and feather soft touchdowns. If I understand correctly, the returning Russian space vehicles use last moment rockets to arrest the descent rate - okay, I guess it works, but the civil aviation standards would never allow certifying such a system! The Cirrus does not know when it's about to hit.

A descent rate of 1700 fpm exceeds some helicopter autorotation rates I have flow, and they're a little alarming. When I changed the prop from two to three blade on my flying boat, the power off, full fine propeller pitch glide went from 800 fpm, to 1300 fpm. This was an alarming rate in this plane, and I really think that a flare to a safe landing from even 1300 fpm would be challenging. (I found that selecting full coarse propeller greatly improved the glide).

a 19 mph stop is painful. Cirrus gets credit for energy absorbent seats, which I'm sure really help, but it's still a hard stop. In times past, when car seatbelt use was being encouraged, there was a road safety car simulator, which subjected the occupant to a 5 mph crash force, even that was a jerk.

I can't imagine a Cirrus parachute descent rate low enough, combined with all other factors, to make me comfortable with the system. But that's my personal opinion, I respect that others feel differently, and that is entirely their privilege too...