PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 quickie
Thread: VC10 quickie
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 11:32
superplum

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle;10735046....The other was perhaps the XV109 incident in 1988, although I'm not sure whether they lost 2 engines. Despite the groundcrews' loudly voiced concerns, the crew elected to fly back to Brize with a damaged tyre. Which subsequently blew up, taking out an hydraulic system, as well as causing a 15000 lb fuel leak and other damage. The Captain and Air Eng were entirely at fault and later tried to claim that the tyre had been OK. Their pressonitis nearly lost the RAF a VC10. The BoI found that they'd bullied the GE and had then lied to try and cover their sorry arses.

*[i
flown by the late 'Lord Percy' RIP.
Was XV109 - Sir Arthur Scarfe - jinxed or was this 1984? I, together with the majority of my 41 Sqn grouindcrew coleagues, experienced an engine failure during takeoff from Deci for return to Colt after APC in Sep 84 (?) There was mayhem in the cockpit (door was open) and a lot of stiff necks from straining to see from the backwards facing seats! After a fuel dump and landing at Cagliari (?) we were bussed back to Deci to await a replacement VC10. Time was not wasted by carrying out a runway FOD walk to retrieve the blades and fragments - a few birs ended up as Sqn trophies I recall!