PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM final flight B747
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 07:59
Theheron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A premature farewell.

I was fortunate enough to fly business class on the upper deck to Mexico City on the 10th March in PH-BFW and return by PH-BFL on 25th March.
This was the first time that I had flown on the upper deck of this classic aircraft and it gave a feeling that you were travelling on aircraft that was a lot smaller. If you were able to fly on this aircraft shortly after production started it must have given you a wow factor.
Unfortunately this COVID 19 virus has taken its toll and I don’t think KLM will be one only airline retiring big jets early. Indeed many airlines may completely disappear.
Although the outbound leg was operated as normal, the return leg was completely different. We were informed a few days before returning that KLM we’re making changes to the onboard catering service in response to the COVID 19 virus to reduce contact between cabin crew and the passengers. Therefore business class and economy passengers would be given the same simplified catering of one hot meal and one snack, and advised to bring your own snacks onboard. Water and soft drinks only would be available. The cabin crew wore face masks throughout the flight and were very apologetic with regards to the catering service but were still doing their utmost to give the best service possible. This was unfortunate but understandable and we were just grateful to be getting home. At least we could still get a reasonable sleep on the lie-flat seat.
On landing we were advised on the PA system by a member of the cabin crew in a slightly emotional voice that it was her last flight on the classic 747 before the aircraft type retired. In fact PH-BFL had only 3 more return journeys after this flight.
KLM terminated flights to Mexico City after the last flight on 28th March.
We also travelled on the last KLM service on 27th March from Amsterdam to Cardiff with 7 passengers on board.
So whichever aircraft replaces the 747 I don’t think it will ever surpass the experience of this iconic jet.