PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 23:04
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DvEsp787
Hey, this is my first post on PPRuNe.

I am hoping to start my Integrated ATPL course by the end of this year/next year but, I have been seeing threads on PPRuNe saying that the bonanza of pilot shortage would simply not exist for the next 5-10 years/after COVID.
To quote, Flying Clog posted under Rumors and news: "The aviation sector is going to contract by 50% for at least the next 5-10 years, and will never, in our lifetimes, recover to the dizzy heights of 2019".
I am just another aspiring airline pilot but looking at the current and predicted situation should I look for something else rather than becoming a pilot?

Please correct me if I am wrong and I would love some advice, feedback, thoughts or whether I should pursue this dream forward...
If you have your heart absolutely set on becoming a pilot, then you become a pilot. Do not let anyone on here or elsewhere convince you otherwise.

In this industry there are lots of people who chose to become pilots without having their absolute heart and soul set on it, these are the naysayers of today and people who complain as much as they breathe. Non-coincidentally these are also 'the sky is falling' doomsday folk on here.

I can happily say that despite every downside to the job and uncertainty of the industry I still would not give up this career for anything. You will have found out for yourself by now that a number of our colleagues do not share the same opinion and think we're better off being in all manner of other jobs. I personally feel that opinion is absurd, yes we are going through a hard time, but name me an industry other than health services, petrol stations and supermarkets that isn't? Things will get better.

For anyone to imply no one will hire pilots post this event for 5-10 years, that's fanciful. We will need pilots before then and i would bet my house there will be an airline hiring again within the next 2/3 years, it is as sure as day. There will always be unemployed pilots, throughout one of the biggest hiring booms this industry has seen (2015-2018) there were still unemployed pilots. That's the nature of the world, that doesn't mean no one will be hiring!

If i was pre-ATPL i would consider starting sometime later this year or early next year. It's a good 20 month lead time from start to finish anyway, so between right now and then is about 3 years if you start early 2021, the entire landscape will be different again.

I wish you all the very best.