PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 - FMA Modes: THR vs SPD
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 22:11
itsnotthatbloodyhard

Received 67 Likes on 27 Posts
If airspeed is to be increased for a constant flight path, AOA must be reduced. If the latter does not happen, the former will not.
I’m not sure if it’s what you mean to say, Vessbot, but it sort of seems you’re implying that AoA must first be reduced before speed can increase, whereas I’d argue that one goes hand-in hand with the other. (Of course, if you’re far enough on the back side of the drag curve that thrust is no longer adequate, then the only way that airspeed will increase is to get the AoA off first - but that’s not the case with a normal approach.)

The alternative statement to yours is that if a constant flight path is to be maintained with increasing airspeed, AoA must be reduced accordingly - which I’d suggest is what we see day-to-day when following any defined path (e.g. accelerating in level flight).

in my younger days I used to fly something that went down final on the back side of the drag curve, using AoA as a primary reference. If for some reason you got increasing AoA/bleeding speed close to the ground, reducing AoA as an initial reaction wouldn’t help much - you’d probably just hit the ground with a higher rate of descent. The only effective response was an immediate increase in thrust, which came naturally as it was the normal technique used anyway. Same goes for flying an airliner. If you feel the arse falling out of it at 100’, are you going to lower the nose, or give it a handful of thrust?