PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 21:52
PPRuNeUser0185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of scare-mongering here frankly. I understand people trying to advise, but there's a lot of personal opinion in how they think the industry will fair, and ultimately, no one knows what's going to happen so making rash predictions isn't helping.

Undoubtedly, the aviation industry has been severely disrupted by COVID-19; not a surprise. However, before people start plucking these numbers off the top of their head "oh yeah it'll be a decade before the industry gets back to normal" or "don't even think about training", people need to realise that the industry simply cannot be predicted accurately in this current moment.

The coming weeks and months will be the decider in how the industry will fair in the foreseeable future. I acknowledge that it will be a rough regeneration of the industry, but it will get back to some form of normality. When and how? No one knows and that's a fact.

If you're sitting here and thinking about starting training, I wouldn't do anything soon. Just wait. As I said, these coming months will give a better insight into how the industry will cope, because frankly, we haven't seen the worst yet, therefore we don't know what to expect and thus base our predictions on.

You have got to remember that most training courses last 18+ months, so you'll be entering the industry in 2022 or there abouts. By 2022 and beyond, the industry we're looking at today will be very different. That's something you should consider.
Whether the industry in 2022 is actually healthy, once again, no one knows. It could be that there is a large pilot surplus, and thus little room for new cadet vacancies; or it could be a recovering industry with signs of hope and growth.

Bottom line, no one knows. Best advice I can give is to just monitor the industry in these coming months, it will give a good indication in how the industry will recover in the future, and when you've got that, then you'll be able to make more solid decisions on training. At the moment, it's too early to make predictions because a lot can happen in a very short space of time in this current climate.