PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimizing risk in the case of an engine failure
Old 31st Mar 2020, 21:22
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheOddOne
Our examiner made me put an engine failure checklist on our notice board. Actually, I really like it, so it's stayed up.
Before it goes on to the actions to be taken in the event of an engine failure,
The first lines say:

Prevention.

! Regular maintenance
2. Use approved and inspected fuel
2. Pre-flight checks, including fuel calculation
3. Proper operation in flight, including ensuring tank selection

As you can see, 3 out of the 4 preventative measures (and probably the other one, as well) involve fuel. In the UK, this month's Flyer magazine (other magazines are available) highlights accidents that all involve fuel especially contamination thereof.

The only thing I'd add would be regular, frequent flight operation of the engine. The received wisdom is that Lycoming engines particularly are susceptible to cam shaft corrosion if left for periods without flying. There was a tragic fatal crash of a PA28 Arrow following engine failure a couple of years ago in Eastern England. The aircraft had stood unflown and neglected for a long period.

TOO
Agreed.

When i was operting single piston engined a/c: the engineering department requested us and we compiled. This we did in an off season with a lot of down time.

Every 72 hours the engine should be started: "run up" and kept running until the engine is at full operating temperature. This was even more important: when the aircraft was in a temperate climate. This action has the effect of reducing bearing corrosion and help teduce the moisture content in the oil.

Failing that: the engine should be inhibited.

"Look after an A/C and it will look after you" Having an aircraft allocated for one's sole use did have it.s advantages!

As for practise forced landings: all good and I agree. However you need to keep shock cooling in mind. Yes they have to be practised of course.

Fly the a/c​​​​​ on, under control. If you have no choice but to fly between trees for eg., do so. You may loose the wings etc., but they will absorb a lot of energy. Good chance of walking away.. Stall it and depart from controlled flight, the likely hood of a favourable outcome are remote. It's the vertical deceleration that does us humans the damage.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 1st Apr 2020 at 11:20.