PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sim Vs Actual
Thread: Sim Vs Actual
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2003, 08:32
peter manktelow

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Autorotations in twins.

Touchdown with both throttles still retarded is risky and was dropped by Okanagan years ago but they did do them.

Touchdown with both throttles full forward is OK but a little artificial. What are we aiming for with the auto ?

For my money (IFR Offshore) , I want the guys to get practice at the entry and then the checks on the way down ie into wind , gear , floats etc etc) Trying to reach a particular spot (offshore) is not as important an issue.
If you dont get the entry right then it is all a bit academic. Surprising how many pilots fixate on the N2 instead of the Nr and also surprising how uncomfortable some of the entries are when pilots have not done them for a while. ie lousy airspeed control , poor Nr control , skid ball out the side of the aircraft.

At the bottom ??.....well we know that it is surviveable even if it is screwed up.

I have been doing (IFR) autos in the S76 from 3,000 feet and simulating sea level at 1000 feet. Power recovery ie both throttles returned to fly/full forward is confirmed no later than 1500 feet.

I once had a line training pilot pull both throttles on me in a 76 in the climb. It was bloody horrible and is a NO NO now. Pierre , you know of whom I speak.