PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the Airlines.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 12:20
RoelB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueBall
The Covid-19 global "stay-at-home" lock-downs has amplified the work-from-home concept. More people are embracing the concept of less travel. The new bliss is to live, work and play at a nice place where you don't have to fly away from.
Nah, I don't think so. Work@home is not suited for a majority of folks. I've been in an industry for over 20 years now where all most people need is an internet connection and a decent workstation. I've been mostly working from home for the last 15 years. But still, if I look to other people, most just don't want to work from home. They want to have some structure, get out of the house, be in a social environment and meet coworkers face to face. And don't forget, not everyone - by far - has a decent office space at home, or the possibility to create one. If you live in a tiny apartment, you'll go crazy if you're in there 24/7. And I'ld reckon that that feeling of being closed in between the 4 walls of ones home is what most people will remember from these couple of weeks, not the that working from home is such a great replacement for going to the office.

The same is true for business travel. Yes, a (voice or video) conference is an alternative that is sometimes acceptable, but every once in a while you just need to meetup to maintain a good relationship. People are social animals and technology is just not the same.