PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of the Airlines.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 11:26
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
Realistically I can see aircraft being allowed to fly with the middle seat in a row of three being empty, ie 120 seats available in a 180 seat A320.
I can't, not if the restriction is 2 square meters or a minimum distance of 1 meter. Given a seat width of around 18 inches, and aisle of the same, and a pitch of 30 inches on a standard A320/737, maximum seat occupancy may well have to look as the following:

1A occupied / 1B empty / 1C empty __ 1D occupied / 1E empty / 1F empty
2A empty / 2B empty / 2C occupied __ 2D empty / 2E empty / 2F occupied

etc., effectively reducing capacity to 1/6 of normal, equivalent to around 30 pax on an A320 / 737-800.

Originally Posted by wiggy
So when all this is over (fingers crossed) the idea being proposed here is that somebody who for example has travelled for the best part of an hour on a crowded poorly ventilated Piccadilly line tube train from say Kings Cross to Heathrow is suddenly entitled to (in relative terms ) oceans of space when they get on board an aircraft..or is the thinking that the likes of TfL, National Express et. al. are also going to rigidly enforce social distancing when we come out of the far side of this pandemic?

(edit to add for the non Brits: TfL = Transport for London, the Agency that runs London's tube/bus network..
National Excess...;sorry Express... major Private bus/coach company)
No. Passengers on the M2 line between Kongens Nytorv and Copenhagen airport will be required to keep the same distance, and it'll be up to the Metro Company to ensure those distances are ensured by restricting the number of passengers allowed on each carriage.

(edit to add for the none Danes: I agree; it's absolutely ridiculous to insert local references to public transport on an international discussion board).