PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VA pilots worried about employment 2021
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 07:26
crosscutter

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This thread has taken a ludicrous turn. The Australian government themselves would need to take borrowing measures to provide further capital. If people think government investment decisions are taken with a view of down-line welfare losses then I feel people need to get real.

The government has introduced spending that increases Australia’s total debt by 40%. It has introduced a wage subsidy for 6 million workers for at least 6 months. These are massive measures that will exist irrespective to support workers.

Back to Virgin...half the 737 fleet is owned. 4 777 are owned. The rest are leased. I have no idea when leases may expire but capital raising options are available. The problem is what investor in their right mind would stump up the cash? So indeed, what protection and requirements would the government demand? What was the interest rate charged by the NZ government on their loan to ANZ??? And they are the major shareholder.

I’m in no position to speculate and nor would I want to. It’s unfair. It’s a devastating situation. Good luck to us all. Just trying to keep it real.