PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 00:35
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
We have evolved a "how could that have been allowed to happen?" society, which is okay, unless you want to go flying in "that could happen" airplanes with the "how could that be allowed to happen?" attitude.
Or a Max?

That said, I agree with your earlier comments on some of these elder aircraft. But, at what point do you start drilling rivets and removing panels to inspect structural components within the wing for corrosion or fatigue, where the need for inspection plates may not have been anticipated given the operational life expectancy? As you pointed out earlier, the DC-3 was designed for a specific pax purpose unlike the 909. I doubt that either designer(s) anticipated them to be flying 70-80 years on. But watching what is being pulled out of Just Jane, I'm surprised at the number of stretched rivet/bolt holes, double drilled holes, rib corrosion (and lack of any corrosion inhibitor), dissimlar metal corrosion (wing tip) etc. After all, if a wing tip folds, isn't the result the same for any pax?

I once had the opportunity to buy a Catalina live-aboard that was docked in Boston harbor. Thought it would be an easy sell since my wife and I lived on a boat. Probably a good pass.