PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 - FMA Modes: THR vs SPD
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 20:56
tttoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are advocating that if low and correcting up then you should lose speed first, and then increase it back to the target value. Why?!
I'm not saying that at all, a pitch up to correct the flight path should be coupled with an increase in thrust to anticipate the increased drag due to the pitch increase if needed. Would you say that if low and fast the correction should be to add thrust and pitch up? That will result in the aircraft getting back on G/P, still fast, and closer to the runway, opening the door for a whole range of other threats. An incorrectly trimmed aircraft will still plow into a field with any amount of excess thrust.

Any pilot should have at least an underlying reflex to increase thrust when they pull back on the tick, and the opposite for the reverse. They should be aware of the energy state of their aircraft and apply the required thrust after making the required pitch change.

To be clear, what I'm describing is the normal way (in my opinion) of controlling the aircraft, and is not applicable for stall recovery, where control is lost and the FCTM recovery should be applied.

Unfortunately, as seen in the Asiana incident and similarly in the botched EK go-around, over-reliance on automatics has removed those reflexes from many pilots. Couple that with a bad understanding of AFDS modes and equally bad monitoring of FMA changes and you have an accident.