PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dennis Kenyon
Thread: Dennis Kenyon
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 20:13
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, since we opened that can of worms.
I am a developer in my second life. Years ago, when Apple changed to Intel, I switched too, because frankly I hate to tinker with operating systems, but sometimes I have to. My list of preferences are: A Mac for developing and other work and if I need a Windows machine, Parallels or VMWare for a Windows instance works like a charm. Especially since I don't have to use a preload with all the crapware. The hours I lost getting rid of Norton Antivirus on IBM or Lenovo machines. A Windows directly from Microsoft is way better than any preload. The pro version that is. Not the home version.
Macs just work and when I need to tinker with it; if you know your shell, you can do almost anything with them. It is a Unix after all with most of the bells and whistles. But Apple could make a more modern desktop, but otherwise I like it.
For servers, Linux is the way to go. I deliberately avoid any software that requires Windows Servers. It just isn't worth the hassle. Desktop Linux is just not my piece of cake.
Windows 10 is the first version, I like in a long time (started with Windows 2 a rather used DOS). It is the most stable in a long time, but still spaghetti code unfortunately. My daughter uses a Surface Pro for compatibility reasons in school and that is a great piece of kit. But I had to tinker with it more than with my Mac in many years. Now that she knows the shell to restart or kill services, I am less in demand.
Mobile is iOS only here. Just to avoid the whole security problems of Android and the crapware of for example Samsung and apart from an iPhone 5 with a very hot battery, every single machine I ever owned from Apple still works and is in use. And that iPhone was used for parts to make another one work again. This text is written on a almost 11 years old MacBook Pro and it still does the trick for most of what I do. Some software does not work anymore on it and it is time to change, but since I have Timemachine, changing to a new Mac will be painless. Something like Timemachine is the one crucial piece of software I miss from Microsoft. It really is a game changer for me, because I had my share of HDD crashes and on a Mac, Timemachine just gives me a peace of mind.
Yes, there are disadvantages to not using all the Microsoft stack, but I can live with that.
My way to avoid security problems are: Every software I do not need anymore gets deleted. That is much easier on a Mac than on a Windows machine.
I try to avoid any "cool" software from obscure sources. If you stick with the AppStore, you should be fine.
I do not use Facebook.
My browsers are on the highest security setting and most of the time I deny all the cookies. Trackers are blocked, as are adds (afap).
And I don't use Facebook. Even my shadow account is now gone. To get even, Facebook deleted my WhatsApp account, too. (Just kidding, I don't know why WhatsApp it was deleted but I am good with that).
Never ever Facebook or Google logins either. Zoom just found out about the Facebook SDK.
Google only for things that are not important.
Until now, I had no problems, apart from the occasional phone call from a fellow with a heavy accent from Microsoft Security, who wants to talk about the virus on my computer.
The funniest moment was, when I told him, that I knew about the virus, since I had written it for them, I now he should finally pay up, what we agreed to.
On other occasions I was insulted quite a bit, when I told them after a while of trying to make me do things, that my Mac did not have a windows key.
I am happy with a Mac. If you like to tinker with computers, Macs are not the way to go. I don't.