PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted Airport History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 15:15
Sotonsean

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by corsaman
As a student in the summers of 1986/87/88, I worked at the Regent Palace Hotel, in Piccadilly, as a hall porter. Our sundays were completely taken up with the storage of departing Scandinavian's bags, left with us whilst the guests enjoyed a final day in London, before an evening flight home. I still have one of the colourful Spies tags somewhere,and remember the flight numbers being for Scanair and Conair flights to Gothenberg, Stockholm and Copenhagen. As a further aside, as a 5 year old in snowy January 1971, my parents treated me to a mini cruise on Tor Line, aboard the 'leaping' Leda, from Newcastle to Bergen and Stavanger. Fond fond memories!
The LEDA was not owned or operated by Tor Line.

The LEDA was completed in 1953 by Swan Hunters, Tyneside for the Norwegian company Bergen Line for service between Bergen, Stavanger and Newcastle.

Withdrawn from service in 1973 and sold to Saudi Arabia as a pilgrim ship. Sold again in 1983 and converted into a cruise ship. After several owner's and names she was eventually scrapped in 2002.

The Swedish company Tor Line was formed in 1964 with operations commencing in 1966 between Immingham and Gothenburg with the TOR HOLLANDIA.

Last edited by Sotonsean; 30th Mar 2020 at 16:02.