PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet full grounding from next Tuesday. . .
Old 30th Mar 2020, 13:57
VictorCharlieTen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming from a Financial background (25 years in that) and then into Aviation (16 and counting) it's worth thinking about what any potential "bailout" would involve. What I'm pointing towards is that when (for example) the RBS and others needed their rescue packages from HMG, - there was and is a path towards this.
- Firstly any "Company" HAS to go their shareholders to raise capital. This is normally in the form of what is called a "rights issue" for those not familiar with the financial terminology.
Only AFTER that and ALL other avenues to raise finance have been exhausted would any potential "bailout" be considered. As mentioned, - it's the British taxpayer that pays for any lifeline and HMG uses "our" taxpaying cash to fund life support. It's also worth remembering that HMG still has a 62.4% stake in RBS and this is from 2008 !!!!!. The financial crisis was a long 12 years ago now. Here's a good article I've read about any corporate bailouts WIPING OUT shareholders first.
As someone who lost 6 figures in RBS shares I know only too well how devastating this may be to the many of us here who have a vested interest in Easyjet. . . (myself included). I had even TOPPED UP my shareholding when they hit £5.00 thinking that was as bad as it could get. . .
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/an...rst-2020-03-18