PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thai low EDDF
Thread: Thai low EDDF
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 08:06
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
You make some interesting points Kit and there is certainly some conflicting information in the report. If we were analysing why the aircraft was in the wrong place to make the approach and subsequently needed to go-around then ATC appear to have played a part. But if the question is why did the aircraft have a high rate of descent below three thousand feet and come perilously close to hitting the ground (which is a lot more unusual than being vectored high) then I expect the report is more likely to focus on instrument flying skills.

Using a format we pilots are familiar with, I would ask the exam question: which is the most likely? (in time honoured fashion there is only one right answer, my test my rules.)

The A350 had an excessive sink rate at low altitude, flew well below the glide slope and nearly collided with the ground because:

A.) ATC were to blame
B.) Poor instrument flying skills of tired long haul pilots
C.) Hacking of the flight control system
D.) Poor quality of aircraft accident investigation

The internet is an imperfect medium for communication and humour does not always translate well. I am just as capable as the next person of getting the wrong end of the stick (as I have amply demonstrated on previous occasions), and I look forward to reading a hopefully instructive and comprehensive final report.

Instrument flying skills are a perishable commodity and if my hypothesis is correct perhaps those of us flying less in the current situation need to think about how we deal with this issue.

Last edited by lederhosen; 30th Mar 2020 at 08:39.