PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2020, 07:59
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by OUAQUKGF Ops
That Bus is specially for you Chevvron. And yes the Production team of 633 Squadron were blessed by brilliant weather. I too spent a day on the set by the threshold of 04 with Mossies buzzing around the place like, well like Mossies ........
It was a pity they had to write off an airframe on that crash sequence which was also used in 'Mosquito Squadron'. The day my fellow cadet Mike and I were there, that aircraft was parked on the pan south of the tower so we wandered over to take a look at it. Even from 6 feet away those bullet holes looked real and it was only when you got really close that you could see they were just carefully painted bits of plywood glued to the fuselage which was otherwise undamaged.
Meanwhile, Cliff Robertson had borrowed the vintage ex RAF motorbike used in one or two scenes and was happily racing round the grass area between hangars 2 and 3!
Just loved the sequence in the finished film shot from 04 threshold (and also used in 'Mosquito Squadron') with the Mossie touching down and half a dozen Ansons parked in the background, their white painted roofs showing up well!